DAET, CAMARINES NORTE, Nov. 26 (PIA) - The Department of Agriculture (DA) assured assistance to the farmers of Basud town as well as in other areas affected by 4 recent typhoons that totally smashed agriculture products.
DA Secretary William Dar said during the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Laging Handa Network Briefing held Nov. 18, that damages to agriculture in the country reached P11 billion due to 4 recent typhoons.
The Network Briefing was hosted by PCOO Secretary Martin Andanar held over Radyo Pilipinas, hooked up to other government agencies' channels and social media platforms nationwide.
Despite the said damages, P32 billion worth of agriculture produce were harvested before the typhoons, Sec. Dar said.
The agriculture department has already lined-up provisions to farmers throughout the country so that they can start planting and fishing.
He also said that the country has high or 98 days' consumptions inventory of rice. The damaged was only for 6 days' consumptions while the remaining inventory is good for three (3) months.
On pineapple marketing, the DA launched logistics support of 80% for the program, while the remaining 20% equity will come from the farmers' associations and cooperatives, he said.
Sec. Dar said that the DA has already given one (1) truck to Basud pineapple farmers so they can easily market their produce in Metro Manila.
He also urged the local farmers to increase the frequency of selling food supplies to Metro Manila because of its huge market.
Basud Mayor Adrian Davoco on the other hand said that after Typhoon Rolly, the damaged to agriculture in town reached 90%. Camarines Norte felt Tropical Storm Ulysses more than Typhoon Rolly and the town incurred lot of damages, he said.
After the rapid assessment and validation, many of 4,800 houses were slightly damaged while almost everything in agriculture were smashed, there is nothing that can be saved, he said.
Davoco cited that due to agriculture damages, its produced have increased in price, but with the state of calamity declared by the province, prize freeze will be imposing.
The mayor also assured Sec. Dar that the town will intensify its monitoring to maintain being free from the African Swine Fever (ASF).
On COVID-19 response, Davoco said that they are the first one who suspended classes before the lock down.
LGU-Basud immediately prepared the budget for the relief goods and gave three distritutions before the Enhanced Community Quaranting (ECQ) ended.
A total of eight distributions were conducted including pineapple relief goods. "We help the pineapple farmers by buying their products due to their difficulty in transporting it to Balintawak, Metro Manila," he said.
On the re-opening of tourist attractions, the mayor said that one of the most known in Basud is the Mother Tree, situated at the Bicol Natural Park (BNP) located in parts of Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte.
The Mother Tree is approximately 250-300 years old and stands at 27 meters. This is the oldest and highest tree, a red lauan which can only be seen in Basud where you have to trek two kilometers from the highway.
Because the province is still restricted, tourists should have a swab result, face mask, face shield and obey standard health protocols, he said.
Basud also have rivers, the town was awarded during the 1990's as having one of the cleanest rivers in the Bicol Region.
He added that the town also have the Pinaglabanan Shrine, which was dedicated to war veterans of World War II.
SK Basud Federation President Shalie Mar de Vera during the Network Briefing said that they assisted chairpersons to realign their funds for proper use during the pandemic.
SK Basud Federation President Shalie Mar de Vera discussing their assistance in the barangays for the pandemic, during the Network Briefing said that they assisted chairpersons to realign their funds for proper use during the pandemic. (RBManlangit/PIA5-Camarines Norte)
She said that chairpersons gave out relief goods in their respective barangay especially basic needs of the youth while others distributed medical supplies like face masks and alocohol to frontliners particularly Barangay Tanods and Barangay Health Workers (BHWs).
In the height of the lockdown, SK officials joined in patrolling and monitoring duties at night and day, she said.
SK officials also distributed additional materials to teachers for the reproduction of modules while others gave out school supplies in their respective barangay like USB, headphones and yellow paper.
De Vera said that they were SK who passed ordinance in order to give financial support to deserving students.
The Network Briefing was co-hosted by Station Manager Ivy Garcia of DWCN-FM. It was also aired over DWCN-FM, DWLB-FM and posted at Camarines Norte Provincial Information Office facebook. (RBManlangit/PIA5-Camarines Norte)